Wargaming the Exploration and Colonisation of Tropical Africa by European powers from 1850 until 1918.


Tuesday 8 February 2011

Zambezi Campaign 8: a few oddments.



Whilst doing the Naval Brigade I also painted a few other characters.  Firstly, and most importantly, I painted the British standard bearer because the scenario forces require one.  In fact, by this time,  British forces didn't carry standards in battle anymore so we have an unofficial standard bearer carrying the Union flag.




After I finished the British askaris I found, annoyingly, one more which I had missed so finished him up too.  I think I will use one of these uniformed askaris to command the group of 14 levy askaris required.  I found that I already had enough figures for this unit so they are now based and ready for undercoating once the Sikhs are done.




Finally, I bought some Darkest Africa odds and ends off eBay, mainly to get some more bearers but also included was this female villager.  She is an excellent piece of Copplestone characterisation and I thought that she would make a suitably combative wife for the chief of the Wasimba village which gets attacked by the Arabs in one of the scenarios.  She is resplendent in red tradecloth skirt and bronze bangles.

Along with the Sikhs I am also going to start work on the British baggage elements.  Some of these will be newly painted and some will be old, repainted figures.

2 comments:

Guido said...

Always nice to see progress being made. I really enjoy following all your colonial blogs, they help keep me inspired and on track.

Coincidentally, I'm planning to paint up some Central Africa Rifles for a little Nyasaland gaming myself, using those exact same figures you have. Toying with the idea of giving them some Greenstuff puttees, though. Knowing me laziness will win out, though and I won't bother.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Wonderful "wife" figure . . . lots of character in that one.


-- Jeff